Indian Institute of Information Technology Pune (IIITP) is actively involved in multidisciplinary areas of research and promotes engagement with industries through consultancy services. The research and consultancy activities are taken up by the dynamic faculty members of the institute. Institute has taken initiative in procuring industry standard tools and equipments for carrying out research. It also involves young minds of graduate students to actively participate in all these activities. Major activities being carried out on research and consultancy are:
- Frame rule for industrial sponsored research and consultancy.
- Institute Sponsored high Impact projects.
- Provide a platform for start-ups.
- Publish research within the institute through magazines like R&D newsletter.
- Create and maintain a database regarding faculty expertise.
- Play a supporting role in creating contacts with the real world and promote facultyresearch through a variety of publications.
- Intellectual property rights (IPR)
- Sponsored fellowships.
- Department development fund.
- Professional development fund.
- Research grant for faculty.
- Student assistantships from projects.
- Contribution to some major national technical projects such as NPTEL on behalf ofthe institute.
- National and international conferences, seminars and workshops.
- Facilitate faculty in procuring equipments necessary to conduct research/consultancy work.
- Recruitment of project and supporting staff.
- Coordinate technical festivals and open house for the students.
- Provide guidance for submitting the proposal to funding agencies such as DST,DRDO, BARC, etc.
- To coordinate technical related activities within the framework of the academiccalendar and encourage student participation in technical activities.
- To coordinate with IITs, NITs and other higher learning institutes for organising activities.
Established in the year 2016, Indian Institute of Information Technology Punemade a mission to foster the development of research in the diverse area of information and communication technology, to develop human resources with competitive advantages required for meeting the future challenges. Four different research centers are created in the institute. The centers are:
(1) Center for Robotics and Security in Internet of Things (IoT) Space:
The vision of this center is to provide leadership in establishing a regional presence in the area of Robotics, Internet of Things (IoT) and Cyber security of IoT by fostering state‐of‐the‐art research, and to provide training of manpower in order to improve the posture of information assurance awareness locally, regionally and nationally.
- To conduct basic and applied research in the areaof Robotics, Internet of Things and Cyber security of IoT.
- To train professionals in India through public education programs.
- To collaborate with industry, government, and academia on both the theory and practical implementation of Robotics, Internet of Things and cyber-physical security of IoT.
- To provide community outreach programs.
(b) Broad Objective:
- To foster cutting‐edge research in the area of Robotics, Internet of Things and Cyber security of IoT.
- To train manpower and contribute to capacity building.
- To provide leadership to form strategic partnerships with external organizations including the government and private sector in a long term program of community outreach.
- To develop content and offer Short‐Term Courses for industry, government and academia.
(c) Important Activities of the Research Center:
- Research in the area of Robotics, Internet of Things and Cyber Security of IoT
- Manpower Development and Capacity Building
- Collaboration and MOUs with other institutes
(2) Center for VLSI and Nanotechnology
To learn and excel in various aspects of VLSI, developing low power high performance analog, digital, mixed signal and RF chips and Nanotechnology. To establish research links with academia and industry both in the nation and abroad, and to organize national programmes for training manpower in VLSI and Nanotechnology.
Thec enter is equipped with industry standard VLSI EDA tools such as Cadence and Vivado, basic hardware resources from Xilinx for testing. The center will further be expanded with Silicon Signoff and Verification. It will house 20 Desktop PCs with a dedicated server. Foundry Design Kits from the top foundries of the world such as TSMC, UMC, and SCL shall be used for designing all the standard cells and ASICs.
- To carry out research in VLSI and Nanotechnology in collaboration with research organizations and industries
- Establish high grade front-end back-end design, verification and implementation methods
- To provide training solutions to generate skilled workforce to corporates
- Develop design problems and advancing their solutions in VLSI circuits for computing, embedded and application specific systems
- To prompt interdisciplinary approaches of physical, chemical, and medical sciences with engineering solutions.
- Facility for teaching and research at both UG and PG level
- EDA tools: Cadence UG Bundle, Vivado Design Suite
- Boards: FPGA development boards, Analog interface device
- Networked computing environment with Linux and Windows
- Research in the field of VLSI, mixed signal circuits, RFIC and Nanotechnology
- Manpower Development through workshops, short-term courses, and academic projects
- Collaboration with academia and industry for establishing networked research and design development
(3) Center for Indian languages and Computational Intelligence
The Center for Indian Languages and Computational Intelligence (CILCI) has a mission to provide ‘Annotated, quality language data (both-text & speech) and tools in Indian Languages to Individuals, Institutions and Industry for Research & Development -Created in house, through outsourcing and acquisition’. The Centre also exists to develop various systems using Indian languages, to develop fundamental theoretical and practical solutions to real world problems using a variety of computational intelligence paradigms.
This centre produces high quality, industrially relevant research into intelligent systems. This provides theoretically sound solutions to real world, decision making and prediction problems.With an established international reputation, its work focuses on the use of fuzzy logic, artificial neural networks, evolutionary computing, mobile robotics and biomedical informatics. CCI offers a number of benefits to the data management, defence, health, logistics, security and video gaming sectors.
(a) Mission and Vision:
- Multilingual word nets and ontologies and their linking
- Resolve word and attachment ambiguities
- Identifying correct parts of speech, named entities and non-recursive noun phrases for Indian languages
- Indian language query to English and Hindi Retrieval
- Automatic translation involving Hindi, English
- Testing if a piece text is inferable from another
- Detecting polarity-positive/negative/neutral-of a given document, especially reviews
- Study of cognitive aspects of language processing and understanding using eye-tracking
- To be one of the leading national and international sources of expertise on fuzzy logic, data mining and biomedical informatics
- To play a key role in enabling the Institute to develop an international reputation for leading edge computational intelligence research
The center has taken several initiatives to promote its activities to the national/international level.
- Conducting Short-term Training Programme on the latest trends of Indian Languages and Computational Intelligence with an aim to share knowledge, research experience with UG/PG students, researchers, scientists and faculty members
- Conducting Faculty Development Programme on the latest trends of Indian Languages and Computational Intelligence with an aim to share knowledge, research experience for faculty members and industry experts
- To publish scientific papers of international repute journals and conferences in the area of Indian Languages and Computational Intelligence
- To complete industry and government sponsored project in Indian Languages and Computational Intelligence
- To file patents/technology transfer in Indian Languages and Computational Intelligence
- To develop products for the society/nation in this area
(4) Centre for Biomedical Science and Engineering
Biomedical research is the broad area of science that looks for ways to prevent and treat diseases that cause illness and death in people and in animals. It is an interdisciplinary field of research which includes many areas of both the life and physical sciences and engineering. Utilizing biotechnology techniques, biomedical researchers study biological processes and diseases with the ultimate goal of developing effective treatments and diagnosis system. Biomedical research is an evolutionary process requiring careful experimentation by team of researchers from various diverse field such as engineers, biologists and chemists. The Centre for Biomedical Science and Engineering will have several different research and practice foci that will evolve as the centre grows and formulates over the next several years.
The Center for Biomedical Science and Engineering will be nationally recognized for research excellence and innovation in clinical medicine and biomedical industry applications and lead education, research, and technology development in India.
The main mission of the Center for Biomedical Science and Engineering (CBSE) is to bridge engineering, science and medicine. The main mission of this centeris to be among the leading research center in the field biomedical science and engineering by next decade.
- Promote and facilitate collaborative and/or interdisciplinary research and enhancement of research networking capacity and infrastructure.
- Increase and effectively manage the resources and research support for its members and the wider university community.
- Provide education and training in research and related skills, especially for graduate and undergraduate students and thereby enhance the academic programs of their constituent academic units.
- Contribute to the institute’s strategic educational and research missions and to support synergies between research, teaching and learning.
- Transfer and mobilize knowledge gained through research for the benefit of society, via a variety of mechanisms as appropriate.
- Enhance the reputation of its members, the constituent academic units, and the institute through the quality of its work.